INGREDIENTS FOR THE CHICKEN
- 8 cups flour
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp vegan chicken stock powder/cubes (Massel Brand is vegan)
- Another 1.5 tbsp of vegan chicken stock powder for boiling the dough
- 2 litre water for boiling the dough
- 1 tbsp oil for crisping the dough
- Kneed the flour and mixture together until it comes together like pizza dough.
- Add more water if the mixture is too dry and more flour if the mixture is too wet.
- Place it in a bowl, add water until the dough’s covered. Leave it aside for 30 min.
- Once the time is up massage the dough while still in water. Don’t be scared get into it.
- Replace the water once it turn milky in colour, and repeat the process 4-5 times or until the water is cloudy rather than milky.
- Don’t worry if the dough breaks during this process it will all come together.
- Once the water is cloudy (after 4-5 repetitions), add vegan chicken stock powder and massage well into the dough.
- Drain the water and cover and leave in a colander for one hour.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE TANDOORI SEASONING
- 1 tbsp garam malasa
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp fennel powder
- 3 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp green cardamon powder
- Pinch of clove powder
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup thick coconut yoghurt
- Few drops of orange/tandoori food colour (optional)
Mix all the above together, taste and adjust salt if needed, and keep aside.
- Pre heat the oven to 160ºC/320ºF
- Add the vegan chicken stock powder and water in a pot, bring to boil and turn the heat to simmer.
- Take the dough out of the colander, tie it in a knot (or few) toss it into the hot stock water and simmer on low heat for 30 min. The dough should be submerged in water.
- Take out and let it cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- Once cool rub in the Tandoori seasoning and let it marinate for 20-30 minutes in the fridge.
- Heat up the oil in a non-stick frying pan, and crisp the dough on each side until slightly charred. (should take few minutes each side)
- Transfer onto a lined baking tray and cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve with vegan raita and mint chutney.
← Older post
Newer post →