INGREDIENTS FOR THE CHICKEN
- 6 cups flour
- 2 and 1/4 cups water
- 1 tbsp vegan chicken stock powder/cubes (Massel Brand is vegan)
- Veggie stock for boiling the dough
- Spray oil for grilling
- Kneed the flour and mixture together until it comes together like pizza dough.
- Add more water if the mixture is too dry and more flour if the mixture is too wet.
- Place it in a bowl, add water until the dough’s covered. Leave it aside for 30 min.
- Once the time is up massage the dough while still in water. Don’t be scared get into it.
- Replace the water once it turn milky in colour, and repeat the process 6-8 times or until the water is cloudy rather than milky.
- Don’t worry if the dough breaks during this process it will all come together.
- Once the water is cloudy add vegan chicken stock powder and massage well into the dough.
- Drain the water and cover and leave in a colander for one hour.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SPICY MARINADE
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp fennel powder
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp green cardamon powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 3 tbsp melted vegan butter
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Few drops of orange/tandoori food colour (optional)
Mix all the above ingredients, taste and adjust salt if needed, and keep aside.
- Pre heat the oven to 160ºC/320ºF
- Bring veggie stock to boil and turn the heat to simmer.
- Take the dough out of the colander, tie it in a knot (or few) toss it into the hot stock and simmer on lowest heat for 30 min. The dough should be submerged in water.
- Take out and let it cool for about 30 minutes.
- Once cool, tear it into chunks with your hands, drop it in the spicy marinade and mix well.
- Cover and leave for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Heat up a heavy bottom pan/grill, and spray some oil. Cook the marinated chunks on each side on high heat until slightly charred. (should take 1-2 minutes each side)
- Transfer onto a lined baking tray and cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve with mint chutney.