I think Rendang curry is the king of curries. Every time I cook it, I fall in with it all over again. The creaminess of coconut milk, fragrant lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves, subtle tanginess from tamarind, and just the right amount of heat. It’s as good as the comfort food gets. So sit back relax and cozy up to this fun, easy, and delicious Rendang curry recipe.
But to enjoy it to the max, you will have to cook it, and taste the medley of exotic flavours.
Spiciness level- Medium (towards the hotter side)
INGREDIENTS RENDANG PASTE
- 2 and 1/2 Red onions
- 4 dried red chilies, use less or more depending on your tolerance (Soaked in hot water for 15 min)
- 3 stalks lemongrass (White part only, and you can substitute it with lemon rind 3-4 tbsp)
- 4 cloves peeled garlic
- 1 thumb peeled ginger
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup water
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CURRY
- 500 gms potatoes (cut in 3cms cubes and skin off)
- 250 gms Fable plant based beef (or you can use eggplant, click here for recipe with eggplant)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp star anise powder (can replace it with Chinese all-spice)
1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- Or you can use 2-3 Tbsp Tully’z Kitchen Mr India/Miss India spice mix to replace all the above spices (Coming soon, sign up for the newsletter to stay updated))
- 3 tbsp molasses (can use maple syrup/rice syrup)
- 2 tsp tamarind pulp (can replace with 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar/vinegar/lemon juice)
- 1 can coconut milk
- 4 lime leaves as finely chopped as possible. (can replace with 1-2 tbsp lime rind)
- 1 cup vegetable stock (can use water)
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- Salt to taste
- Add all the ingredients for the paste in a blender. (Drain the chilies before adding them)
- Blend until it becomes a smooth paste. Add more water if needed to get the blender going.
- Heat up 2 tbsp oil in a deep and heavy bottomed non-stick pan, on medium heat.
- Add in the Rendang paste, Cook for for 3-5 minutes on low-med heat, until it becomes a little darker. (Be careful as the fumes from chilies might make you cough)
- Stir in all the remaining ingredients for the curry (hold off the potatoes and plant-based beef)
- Taste and adjust seasoning if required.
- Cover and cook for approx. 35-40 min on low heat. Open the lid couple of times during cooking and stir/scrape the sauce that might have stuck to the pot. Don’t worry this will give the sauce it’s color and flavour.
- The sauce should be dark brown in color, if needed cook for another 5 minutes.
- Once the time is up toss in the potatoes and make sure they are well coated with the sauce.
- Add a splash of water if the gravy is too thick. Cover and simmer on low heat for about 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked.
- Add in the Fable plant based beef and simmer for 5 minutes (uncovered) or until heated through.
- Serve with rice/roti