INGREDIENTS FOR PEANUT SAUCE
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter (about 150g)
- 1 full cup coconut milk (about 250-260g)
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1.5 tbsp dark soy sauce (can replace with Tamari)
- 1.5 tbsp tomato paste concentrate
- 1 tbsp lemon juice/white vinegar
- 1/2 finely chopped onion (about 50g)
- 1 finely chopped red chilli (use 1/2 or none for less heat)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
INGREDIENTS FOR THE MARINADE
- 350g vegan Chicken/Tofu (cubed in approx. 3cm pieces to fit on skewers)
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp tomato paste concentrate
- 1 tsp curry powder
- Heat the oil in a large and deep non-stick frying pan.
- Fry onion until golden on medium heat while stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the tomato paste and cook for 1-2 minutes on medium heat. Stir to avoid burning.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and mix/whisk until no lumps, while it’s cooking on medium heat.
- Cook for few minutes until it’s smooth and thick like béchamel sauce. Stir occasionally. Keep aside (once it cools down it will thicken a little more)
- Taste and adjust salt if needed. I normally add more soy sauce if it needs salt.
Grilled Satay Chicken
- Mix in all the ingredients for marinade including chicken/Tofu and leave for 10 minutes.
- Pierce them onto skewers and grill until slightly charred. Turn them over for even cooking and char. (It should take 2-3 min each side)
- Serve the skewers with a bowl of satay sauce with. if serving as a meal, serve some Jasmine rice too.
Note: If serving the sauce later out of the fridge, heat it up with a dash of water/coconut milk and adjust seasoning before serving.