Makes 6-8 wings
- 1 Can Jackfruit (Drained)
- 20gm dried mushrooms (easily available from any Asian grocery store)
- Soak them in boiling water for 10 minutes and squeeze out as mush water as possible before using.
- 1 cube chicken flavored stock (Massel brand is Vegan)
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 6 tbsp Gluten flour
- 2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup Vegan butter milk
- 1 cup soy milk + 1 tbsp Apple cider vinegar, mix and leave aside for 10 min
- 130 ml Frank’s hot sauce (can replace with vegan Sriracha sauce) + 1 tbsp maple syrup, mix well and keep aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F.
- Heat up the oil in a non-stick frying pan
- Add jackfruit and mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes on medium heat to get rid of excess moisture. Break the jackfruit chunks with the back of the wooden spoon during cooking. Taste and adjust salt if needed.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast and chicken stock cube (crush it before adding), and cook for about a minute.
- Keep the mixture aside and let it cool for few minutes.
- Once cooled, add the mixture and gluten flour into a food processor and blend until it becomes a dough. There shouldn’t be any lumps and it should be easy to mould.
- Make 6-8 wings like shapes and steam them for 10 minutes (I use a Bamboo steamer)
- Let the wings cool down for few minutes. Dip into buttermilk, and then roll them in breadcrumbs.
- Press gently to make sure the breadcrumbs stick
- Line a baking tray with Aluminum foil and some spray oil, place the wings on top and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until you see a tinge of golden*
- Toss the wings into the hot sauce until coated well, serve hot with vegan ranch sauce (recipe coming soon)
*I turn the wings over after 15 minutes to get even crunch on all sides, but it’s optional.