I have been asked many a time on my Instagram page to create some healthy recipes especially for breakfast. I love that engagement with my audience as it helps me go out of my comfort zone and be more creative. I believe feedback is the key to service my audience better, so thank you🙏
So here is a healthy option: Breakfast Burrito. I am a bit of savory breakfast person. Probably to do with the fact that I grew up in India, and sweet breakfast is not something very popular. Apart from the sugary “Chai” in the morning. I guess that is why we eat savory breakfast to balance the diabetic Chai.
These wholesome and mouth-watering breakfast burritos are filled with scrambled tofu, chickpeas, avocado, jalapenos, tomatoes, and sweet paprika powder. The nutritional value of these wraps is fantastic, protein from tofu, and chickpeas, Iron from the spinach leaves, and carbs from the wraps. I wrapped them in spinach wraps, but you can use rye/multigrain or even gluten free wraps.
I also found out the other day that Tofu is a great source of calcium too. Another reason to eat more Tofu.
A wholesome breakfast to start the day right. And I should add, I found them delicious to eat too. And one more thing I love about them, I can prepare the mixture in advance and just put them in wraps in the morning, breakfast ready in minutes. The other day I was rushing so I took it in the car to eat. Ah ‘Convenience’…one of my favorite words.
So let’s get cracking and have a great breakfast. Tag me on Instagram if you make them, so I can thank you properly.
Makes- 4 wraps
Overall cooking time (start to end)- 25-30 min. Prep Time- 15 min
- 175 gms tofu coarsely crumbled (approx. 1 cup tightly packed)
- ½ Cup chickpeas (Use canned chickpeas and drain them before using them)
- ½ red onion sliced
- 1/3 cup plant milk
- 1 cup tomatoes cubed
- 1 tsp sweet/smoked paprika
- 1 tsp olive oil/coconut oil
- 1 avocado (sliced/cubed)
- ½ cup jalapenos (optional)
- 2-3 cups baby spinach leaves.
- ½ fresh lemon
- 4 wholegrain wraps
- Salt to taste
- Heat up oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Add onions and cook for 1 min.
- Add tofu and chickpeas and cook for 3-4 minutes on med-high heat or until tofu is slightly golden in color.
- Stir in paprika and salt.
- Add plant milk and cook for 1-2 min. (just until the milk is absorbed)
- Add tomatoes and mix well. Switch off the heat and keep aside. Taste and adjust salt if needed.
- Place a wrap in front of you on a clean working surface. Leaving few cms on the edge closest to you, place few spinach leaves and about ¼ cup of tofu filling.
- Top up with couple of slices of avocado, jalapenos/pickles, and squeeze few drops of fresh lemon.
- Roll the wraps up by folding the sides inwards and the edge closest to you over the filling, pulling tightly.
- Toast the wraps in a pan or a sandwich press until golden brown.