- 1 and 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews (soaked overnight and drained)*
- 1 and 1/2 cup Walnuts
- 1 cup pitted dates (tightly packed - approx. 12-14)
- 1/4 cup plant milk (I use soy)
- 1/3 cup liquified raw coconut oil (heat it up in microwave for few seconds to liquefy)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup (can use rice syrup/agave)
- 1 pinch Saffron strands
- 3 tsp Rosewater
- 1 pinch salt
- Soak the saffron strands in 1 tbsp of water and keep aside for 5 minutes.
- Blend dates and walnuts in a food processor until it becomes sandy mixture.
- Pinch the mixture between your fingers, it should stick. If it's too dry add more dates, if too wet add more nuts, and blitz it few more times.
- Line a cake tin/baking dish with baking paper, add the mixture, distribute and flatten it evenly by pressing with your fingers/spatula. Push some crust up the sides so it can hold the filling. Make sure it’s packed tightly.
- Put it in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, add all the rest of ingredients including saffron, in a blender and blend it until silky smooth. This will be the filling.
- Taste and adjust sweetness if required.
- Take the crust out of the freezer and pour in the filling. Gently tap it few times to even out the filling.
- For best results put it in the fridge overnight. Or put it in the freezer for about 4-6 hours for quicker results.
*Pat the cashews dry with a tea towel before using.
**If freezing the cheesecake, leave it for few minutes before serving.
***Personally I like it to eat it from frozen. It feels like cheesecake ice-cream.
****I used 22cm baking dish. You can also use bread tin if wanting to make it rectangular.