I created this recipe based on my childhood memories of how my mum and aunties use to make cottage cheese at home. Indian people are always careful with their money, so the women of the household try to make as many things as possible at home, including clothes, food, and even curtains and quilts. The metropolitan India is changing but the smaller towns are still holding onto the “home-made” spirit. And that spirit has taught me a lot in life. To be resourceful and to be creative.
This recipe truly is no-fuss. To make this creamy and delectable vegan feta all you need is Soy milk, lemon, and apple cider vinegar. The only hard part about making this vegan cheese recipe is the patience, as it will need to sit in the fridge overnight. The versatility of this feta cheese is amazing. You can Use this as a spread, as a dip or even as a sauce in your favorite pasta.
Enjoy and tag me on Instagram @tullyzkitchen if you make it, so I can thank you properly.
And now, let’s get cooking.
- 1 litre soy milk unsweetened*
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar(ACV)
- 1 tsp Kala Namak (black salt)**
- Boil the milk and turn the heat off. Let it cool for 5-6 min.
- Add the lemon juice, ACV and salt, and leave it aside it for 10-15 min, the milk will split.
- Line a large sieve with muslin/cheese cloth.
- Pour the curdled milk slowly and carefully.
- Bring the edges of muslin cloth together and twist it few times to squeeze excess water.
- Place the sieve over a bowl and put couple of cans of tomatoes/chickpeas etc on top.
- Leave it aside for about 2 hours.
- Throw away the excess liquid and place the wrapped up cheese along with the bowl in the fridge overnight.
- Unwrap and take the cheese out of the cloth.
- To take it to the next level, bake it for 15 min on 150⁰C/300⁰F in a preheated oven (totally optional)
* Use good quality soy milk with high percentage of soy beans.
**Can use normal salt.