- 150g onion diced (Approx. 1 medium onion)
- 200g Carrots diced (Approx. 2 medium carrots)
- 100g Celery diced (approx. 3 sticks)
- 3-4 garlic cloves finely chopped (or 1 tsp garlic paste)
- 50g tomato paste (Approx. 2.5 tbsp)
- 800g chopped tomatoes (2 x 400g cans)
- 4-5 sprigs of fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried thyme)
- 1.5 litre vegetable stock (approx. 6 cups)
- 250g diced potatoes (Approx. 2 medium potatoes)
- 200g chopped flat beans (or any vegetable of your choice, eg. Zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli etc.)
- 1 can cannelloni beans (drained and washed)
- 125g chopped vegan bacon (I used Next Foods brand)
- 150g vegan chicken chunks (I used the Next Foods brand)
- 100g uncooked macaroni or any small shaped pasta (Approx. 3/4 cup)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- Heat up the oil in heavy bottomed pot/dutch oven on medium heat and fry the vegan bacon for 1-2 minutes or until golden.
- Add garlic, thyme, onions, carrots, and celery and cook for 5 minutes on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato paste, canned tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes on medium-high heat. Stir few times.
- Add stock, potatoes, beans, chicken, cover and bring to boil on high heat. Turn the heat down to medium and cook for 15 minutes.
- Open lid, add pasta, cannelloni beans, and cook without the lid for 1 minute less than the cooking time specified on pasta packaging.
- Serve hot with some crusty bread.
- Dice the potatoes, carrot, onions and celery in approx. 2 cm pieces. Flat beans in about 3-4 cm
- If you leave pasta a tiny bit uncooked it will cook in the residual heat of the soup.