- 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 500ml/ 2 Cups plant-milk* (Keep another 100ml spare)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil/Tbsp vegan butter
- 1/3 Cup vegan Parmesan ( Can replace it with 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast)**
- 1 Tsp veggie stock powder
- 50g (1/2 cup) onions (finely chopped
- 1 Clove garlic
- 150g sliced mushrooms (approx 1-2cm thick)
- 2 Cups baby spinach leaves
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 300 gms. uncooked pasta of your choice. Cook it as per the packet instructions and keep it aside.
- Grill the mushrooms in a pan/griddle and keep them aside.
- Heat the oil/butter in a deep large non stick frying pan (if using vegan butter but don’t let it brown)
- Add onions and garlic and cook on low-med heat for 4-5 min to until the onions are transparent. Stir occasionally
- Add flour and cook for about 1 minute on low heat. Again do not let it brown. Stir continuously.
- Slowly add milk while continuously whisking to avoid lumps.
- Add the vegan Parmesan (or Nutritional yeast), veggie stock powder, and a pinch of ground black pepper. Whisk vigorously until the mixture is super smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Cook the sauce until its thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. It should take 6-8 min on low-med heat. Keep stirring to avoid sticking to the pan. (It will take longer if you are making bigger quantities)
- Add splash of plant milk if the sauce is too thick.
- Stir in the pasta, grilled mushrooms, and spinach.
*I used soy milk
**If you can’t find vegan parmesan, you can use any hard vegan cheese.