- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1000 ml (approx. 4 Cups plant-milk)* Keep another 100ml spare
- 3 Tbsp olive oil/Tbsp vegan butter
- 100 gms (approx. 3/4 cup) shredded vegan Mozzarella ( Can replace it with 1/3 cup Nutritional Yeast)**
- 2 Tsp veggie stock powder
- 50g (1/2 cup) onions (finely chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic
- 1/2 red chilli finely chopped (Optional)
- 100 gms Mushrooms finely chopped (Approx. 1 cup)
- 200 gms sliced mushrooms (approx. 2cm thick)
- 50 gms Zucchini finely chopped (aprox. 1/2 cup)
- 150 gms Zucchini (1-2cms thick slices)
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 300 gms. uncooked pasta of your choice. Cook it as per the packet instructions and keep it aside.
- Grill the sliced mushrooms and zucchini in a pan/griddle and keep them aside.
- Heat the oil/butter in a deep large non stick frying pan (if using vegan butter don’t let it burn)
- Add onions, garlic, chopped Mushrooms, Zucchini, and chillies and cook on med-high heat for 5-6 min to until the the mixture is cooked through. Stir occasionally
- Turn the heat to low, add flour and cook for about 30 sec on low heat. Do not let it brown. Stir continuously.
- Slowly add plant-milk while continuously whisking to avoid lumps.
- Add vegan Mozzarella (or Nutritional yeast), veggie stock powder, and a pinch of ground black pepper. Whisk vigorously until the mixture is super smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Cook the sauce until its thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. It should take 6-9 min on low-med heat. Keep stirring to avoid sticking to the pan. (It will take longer if you are making bigger quantities)
- Switch off the heat and stir through Apple Cider Vinegar. It helps round off the flavour.
- Add splash of plant milk if the sauce is too thick.
- Stir in the pasta, grilled Mushrooms and Zucchini.
*I used soy milk
**If you can’t find vegan Mozzarella, you can use any hard vegan cheese. Grate it before using.