MAKES- 8-10 muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (you can use castor sugar as well)
- 3 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 flax egg*
- 1 cup apple juice (Try and use good quality real apple juice for best results)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 175 gm diced apple (approx. 1 cm cubes)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Mix 1 tbsp of flaxseed meal with 3-1/2 tbsp of water and keep it aside for 5 minutes.
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Lemon zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/390ºF
- In a large bowl add all the dry ingredients and mix well using a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Make a well in the centre and add the remaining ingredients. Mix well again until it becomes a thick gloopy batter. (If too thick add 1-2 tbsp of apple juice)
- Spray a muffin tray wth oil and fill each slot with batter. Do not overfill, leave about 1 cm gap from the top.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Pierce the muffins with a toothpick or a small knife, if it comes out clean it means they are done.
- Let them cool a little before taking out of the muffin tray.
- Whisk the ingredients for lemon glaze in a bowl until smooth. Drizzle on top of the muffins.