INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING
- 400 grams boiled potatoes (let them cool before using)
- 3/4 cup vegan bread crumbs (Panko bread crumbs and gluten free breadcrumbs are generally vegan, but do check the packaging)
- 1 cup peas*
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BATTER
- 1 and 1/2 cup chickpea flour (Besan)*
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red chilli powder (optional)
- 1/4 cup water (and spare 1-2 tbsp)
- Oil for deep frying
- Mash the potatoes using a hand held grater.
- Add in the remaining ingredients for the filling and blitz them in a food processor (can use hands to mix too) The consistency of the mixture should be like play dough. If needed add more breadcrumbs.
- Roll the mixture little bigger than the size of golf balls. Gently press them with your hands to look like small patties about 1 and 1/2 cm thick. Spread them on a flat tray and keep in the fridge for 30 min.
- In the meantime, mix all the ingredients for the batter in a large bowl and whisk vigorously until it becomes smooth. It should be like pancake batter.
- Fill 3/4 of a medium pot with oil and heat it up on medium flame. Drop a small amount of batter in the hot oil, if it comes back up immediately, the oil is ready.
- Dip the patties in the batter until fully coated and gently drop them in the hot oil. Do not over crowd the pot. May be 2-3 patties at a time.
- Fry until golden and crispy on the outside. Flip them over if needed.
- Take out the pakoras and drain on a paper towel
- Serve hot on their own with mint salsa Chutney or in a vegan slider bun.
*If using frozen peas, thaw before using.